Art and Design
Art & Design Subject Leader: Jonathan Whitfield
Art & Design in School:
Art has a high profile at Nevill Road Infant School and it is intended that this remains the case. Art is an integral part of our provision and ethos and we use it to develop the children’s creativity, imagination and aesthetic awareness. All new teachers are introduced to the development and ethos of art and design within the school including our display policy. Art work that the children have produced is celebrated throughout the school environment. Children are encouraged to experiment using a range of media and we look at artists and designers from a variety of cultures.
Our aims are to:
- Ensure children become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques
- Evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
- Know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
- Extend a child's creativity, requiring elements of innovation, thought and imagination.
- Create a love of learning where the child is free to experiment with art materials
- Equip the child with a valid, vital and expressive means of communication.
- Develop aesthetic awareness.
- Give children a sense of pride and satisfaction